International Special Student Types

international flags

UW–Madison welcomes international students to study as nondegree University Special students. Learn from world-class faculty at one of the nation’s top public research universities. Options include undergraduate and graduate level credit opportunities.

University Special students enroll in regularly scheduled UW–Madison courses for academic credit, but do not earn a degree.

Visiting International Student Program (UIUL, UIGL, UIDL)
Visiting International Students study at UW–Madison at the undergraduate, graduate, or dissertator level for one or more semesters. This program is for students not participating in a formal university exchange program.

Formal Exchange Program (UNIS)
UNIS students study at UW–Madison as part of a formal exchange program organized through their home university’s exchange/study abroad office.

Capstone Certificate (UNCS)
UW–Madison offers a variety of graduate-level Capstone Certificates. These certificates allow students to obtain additional professional skills in an accessible format designed for nontraditional students and working professionals. Currently, four of these certificates will provide a F-1 visa for study including: Computer Sciences, Actuarial Science, Communication Sciences & Disorders, and Geographic Information Systems. Capstones offered online are also open to International Students if you do not plan to travel to the United States.

Online Only (UNOL)
UNOL students are nonresidents of the state of Wisconsin (for tuition purposes), not currently in a degree program at UW–Madison, living anywhere in the world, and taking only online classes that are not affiliated with existing university programs.